Covid-19 Frequently Asked Questions

We know you’re concerned about recent developments regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and we are doing everything we can to support you as well as our employees.

This is an unprecedented and fast-moving situation so to try and help you understand what it means for you and your customers, we have put together the below frequently asked questions.

How does working from home affect home insurance cover?

Your policy would not be impacted if you or your family are working from home, as long as it’s on a clerical business use basis only. If you have visitors to your home for business purposes or if you conduct any other non-clerical business from the home, you will not be covered.

Will work equipment be covered at home?

There is no need to add business equipment (e.g. a phone or laptop) owned by your employer to their policy as this will usually be covered under the employers business insurance.

Any business equipment owned by you and your family can be covered under the policy. Business equipment is defined as desktop and laptop computers, keyboards, visual display units, printers, word-processing equipment, desktop publishing units, fax machines, photocopiers, typewriters, computer aided design equipment, telecommunication equipment (but not mobile phones) and office furniture, owned by you and your family.

Please check the Policy Schedule and Policy Wording for more details and limits.

If my home is usually unoccupied during the day, but because of self-isolation is now occupied all of the time, is this something that needs to be notified?

No, it is not a requirement to tell us if your home is occupied more often because of the virus.

Will the home be covered if it is unoccupied due to staying with relatives because of self-isolating, being stuck abroad or being in hospital. Will cover continue?

Our policy provides comprehensive cover for properties that are unoccupied for up to 30 days. Currently, after 30 days, the cover downgrades to exclude such cover as (but not limited to) Escape of Water, Accidental Damage, and Theft. However, if you experience a delayed repatriation when returning home from a holiday outside the UK, or you are subjected to an extended hospital stay, which are both directly as a result of COVID-19, we will look to be flexible with these terms and will not look to apply exclusions to your policy unfairly as a result of this.

Additionally, if we have been informed that an insured property is unoccupied for more days than the policy allows, and as a result we have applied additional endorsement terms to the policy insisting that the property is regularly inspected. Where COVID-19 Government restrictions prevent you from doing so, we will look to be flexible with these terms and not look to apply exclusions to your policy unfairly as a result of this.

If it is possible to plan before leaving the property unoccupied, here are some actions that may help you to protect your property:

Ask a friend or neighbour to keep an eye on your property; Ensure the windows and doors are locked (and remove keys) and set the alarm; Switch off and unplug electrical items; Turn off the gas at the mains, unless it’s required for an automatically controlled heating system; Turn off the water at the mains and drain the system unless an automatically controlled heating system requiring the water supply is left in operation.

If documents have been missed prior to the renewal date due to issues relating from coronavirus, then please contact us on 0333 311 0339 or email and we will do what we can to either reinstate the policy or arrange a new policy as soon as possible.

I need to talk to you about something else, how do I get in touch?

You can telephone us on 0333 311 0339 as normal, however as the majority of our staff are working from home, you may experience longer than normal waiting times if you try to contact us by phone.

You should email us at wherever possible to enable us to resolve your query more efficiently and cut down your time spent waiting.